The funny thing about electrics is that we never really worry about it until it malfunctions. We don’t think twice about turning on a computer, TV, or light. Instead we expect it to work and ninety-nine times out of a hundred, it does. That said electrical malfunctions can and do happen, but when they do it’s usually because of an underlying reason, typically your wiring. With this in mind, here are 5 answers to questions about electrical wiring you need to know.
How do you know if your home is poorly wired
Firstly if you live in an old house (Pre 1970) and you haven’t had the wiring checked out then it might be worth getting a professional in to have a look. Older electrical wiring isn’t used to dealing with the plethora of electrical appliances that we have today. Therefore if you experience continual tripping, light flickering, or blown fuses, then chances are you have old or poor wiring.
Should you attempt any wiring or re-wiring projects yourself?
Not unless you’re a fully trained and fully licensed, qualified electrician. House fires stared through bad or faulty electrical wiring is the number one cause of domestic death in Australia. In fact just to show you how serious the government are, if anyone is proven to have fitted wiring that has led to an accident that they’re not qualified to fit, then depending upon the seriousness of the case, they could be facing at best a hefty fine of $40,000 and at worst, a manslaughter charge and a prison sentence.
How often should residents have their home electrics checked out?
Providing the electrical wiring is relatively new (see the first question) and your trip switches, sockets and lights seem okay, then you should look at getting your electrics professionally checked around once every 3-5 years. However If you’ve recently added a lot of appliances and you see lights dimming then get it pays to err on the side of caution and get it checked out sooner rather than later.
What should you do if you experience signs of faulty wiring?
Factors such as charred sockets will tell you that something isn’t right with your electrics. This being the case try to isolate the problematic switch. Alternatively if you can’t isolate it completely then don’t let anyone near it until you’ve called in the pros.
What can residents to to avoid any major problems
Think safety! Look to fit circuit breakers or surge protectors, definitely on the main circuit but ideally they should be on every single plug socket. Make sure that you install a smoke detector system and make certain that your home is properly grounded.
At Static Electrics we’ve been in the industry for many years and as such we have the skills and the experience to install or repair a wide range of electrical items and electrical wiring. Why not contact us on 0429 139 039 for a free, no obligation quote.