Today, we’re way more reliant on electricity in the home than ever before thanks to all of life’s modern devices which most of us enjoy. The trouble is, this reliance on electricity also means there is more chance of electrical hazards occurring. The good news is that we can all reduce the risk of electrical hazards by staying aware and taking any relevant steps to eliminate any dangers, preferably with the help of your local Brisbane electrician. Let’s take a closer look at 5 of the most dangerous electrical hazards in the home:
1. Dodgy wiring and defective wires
Number one at the top of the electrical hazards list has to be dodgy wiring. If you’ve been tempted to have a go yourself at wiring in the home, then you need to be aware of the importance of good quality wiring which conforms to safety standards to keep yourself and your family safe. Dodgy wiring or wiring that is not up to scratch can raise the chances of electrical fires, power surgers, arc faults and other serious electrical issues. For this reason it’s always best to get a qualified electrician to do all your electrical wiring around the home.
Old wiring that has corroded worn, cracked, or is damaged in some other way can also increase the risk of electrical accidents. For this reason it’s important to have an electrician carry out an electrical inspection in your home on a regular basis to check that your wiring is safe and to inform you if any wiring needs replacing or upgrading.
2. Pouring water on to an electrical fire
All too often people make the mistake of pouring water on to an electrical fire to put out the flames. This should never be done since it serves to fuel the fire further and could result in electrocution. Instead keep a fire extinguisher on site for use in the event of an electrical fire to be used in an emergency. If you don’t have an extinguisher then turn off the electrical power, get everyone out of the house, and call the fire brigade.
3. Placing outlets close to water
It’s important that all outlets in bathrooms, kitchens, and other living areas with water are installed a fair distance away from the source of the water. Since water conducts electricity, you can lower the risk of electric shocks by ensuring outlets are away from water. Never ever use a phone, hair dryer, radio, or other electrical device when you’re in the bath, near your pool, or anywhere that has a wet floor.
4. Curious infants
Babies and toddlers tend to be very curious when they’re growing up and like to explore everything around them. Although infants should be supervised by adults at all times, anyone expecting children to their homes can take extra precautions to protect them.
It’s a good idea to replace any electric outlets that are within their reach and height with extra safe powerpoints that have rotating covers that keep the powerpoints closed when not in use, preventing little ones from sticking their fingers or other sharp objects into the outlets. Unprotected sockets can lead to injury.
Although you probably don’t regard lightbulbs as electrical hazards there is a large potential for fire when lightbulbs are placed near flammable materials such as drapes, upholstery, beds, and plastics. Lights can cause electrical shocks so make sure you always turn off the switch before replacing a light bulb and never touch it, or the switch with wet hands. In addition, to prevent overheating, be sure to choose a bulb with the correct wattage for the appliance.
If you’d like us to carry out an electrical safety inspection of your home or office then give Static Electrics a call on 0429 139 039. We’ve been helping residents and businesses around Brisbane with all manner of electrical issues for many years.