If you reside in an older property you’ll already be aware that they often need extra special attention. This is especially true when it comes to electrics. The trouble is that it isn’t always easy to spot faulty, but if you know what to look for, there are a few indications that issues may be lurking beneath your very walls. Let’s take a look….
Constant tripping of circuit breakers and fuses
Circuit breakers and fuses are there as a safety measure and will cut the power when the usual flow of electricity around the circuit changes. If this happens a lot then it may well be an indication that you have faulty wiring.
Dimming or flickering of your household lights
When you switch on an appliance, do you notice that some of your household lights flicker or dim slightly? Although good wiring rarely dims, it does and can happen from time to time. Once or twice isn’t so much of an issue, but just like tripping fuses and circuit breakers, if it happens a lot, then there could be an underlying problem.
Switches or sockets that deliver more than you bargained for
One of the more obvious and painful signs that you have faulty wiring is when you touch a switch and get an electrical shock in return. This is a clear indication that all is not right with your wiring and you should call in a qualified electrical engineer immediately.
Distinct acrid smell/charred switches or sockets
If you’ve experienced an electrical short that’s caused a brief burn, you might not notice it to look at but you’ll certainly smell it. Consisting of a distinctive acrid smell that lingers for hours it’s an unpleasant sign that you have an electrical problem. If it is noticeable, then discoloured or charred sockets and switches are normally a give away. If you do recognise this smell, or notice these signs then it’s advisable to isolate the power right away and call in the professionals.
Household electrical faults are a big problem and just to put this into perspective, in 2011 alone Queensland had one of it’s worst years on record when 27 people died in fires caused by electrical faults, many of which were due to old wiring. If you do reside in an older property and have never had the wiring checked, or you suspect that your home might have faulty wiring problems then don’t leave it until it’s too late. Many experienced electrical companies will carry out home safety audits where they will examine wiring, check trip switches and install circuit breakers, where necessary.
To find out more about just how Static Electrics in Brisbane can help contact us on 0429 139 039 today.