You probably don’t need me to tell you that if electricity is mishandled it can be extremely dangerous. In fact in Australia, someone dies every single week from an electrical accident in the home and it’s also the cause of over half of all property fires. Statistically though, it’s thought that those living in rented accommodation are more likely to be involved in an electrical accident due to a severe lack of safe electrical safety checking.
To give you an idea of whether or not your rental property is safe or not there are a few signs that you can look out for which will immediately tell that your electricity cabling is old and might need replacing. Things such as
- Black cable, or cable with lead or fabric coating
- A fuse box with a wooden back or one made of cast iron
- Brown or black switches mounted in skirting boards
- Round light switches or pin sockets
- Ceiling roses with fabric-coated cables hanging from them
- Bathroom walls with old light switches mounted on them.
will all give you a very good indication that your wiring is well past it’s prime.
If you rent a property and you discover old wiring like those listed above then you need to speak to your landlord. Ask them if they have any documentation or proof of the last time the wiring was checked. A periodic general assessment needs to be carried out every 5 years or as soon as there is a tenancy change.
A word about electrical faults
We can pretty much guarantee that if we asked someone the main cause of electrical accidents in the home, they’d probably say electrical faults such as faulty wiring. In fact, the number one cause of electrical accidents and sadly deaths in the home is caused by people’s behaviour with it. With this in mind, here are a few simple rules you might want to abide by to avoid electrical accidents in your rental property.
- Never overload plug sockets by using multi-socket adaptors
- Don’t use overseas appliances in your property as they often operate under different voltages
- Don’t take mains-powered electrical equipment into the bathroom
- Plugging an adaptor into an adaptor is something that should never be done
- Never try to repair an electrical fault yourself. Instead seek a fully licensed electrician
- Keep a close eye out for dimming lights – It could be signs of a bigger problem
At Static Electrics we’ve been serving the residents and business of Brisbane for many years and as such have become your ‘go to’ electrical service. So if you have an electrical problem in your rental property, then call us on 0429 139 039 today for a reliable and trustworthy solution.